Craptastic Fantastic

processed food craptasticI’ve been deliberating the next installment on FlavourCrusader. I’ve floated a few vague ideas on Twitter. I think I have it now.

Plastic, craptastic corporate food! A billion ingredients processed to buggery. Packaged in colourful boxes. A nutritional claim slapped on top.

Thanks, but no.

So, onto the next experiment.

I’m planning a series of posts to help people make the switch from processed to made-from-scratch.

So…

Which edible food-like substance irks you the most on the stupidmarket shelves?
What do you invest in making from scratch?

CC photo by √oхέƒx™

22 Responses to Craptastic Fantastic

1. Lucy says:

ready-popped pop corn is MADNESS, as is partially-cooked rice and such.

1. Sharon says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen partially-cooked rice!?

Oh, but ready-popped pop corn. Isn’t half the fun popping it yourself? Robbed!

2. My most hated supermarket product, isn’t even the worst one around, but it’s those squeezy tubes of “fresh” herbs. Cannot stand ‘em. Hate the way they’re in the fresh food aisle, giving the impression they’re fresh. Hate the way they also contain sugars and other stuff, when they’re giving the impression they’re the same as fresh.

Anyway, before I rant too much . . . I’m making more and more from scratch – bread, preserved lemons, spice mixes, pesto, ice cream. I’m on the way to making tofu and tempeh from scratch, just have to work out timings. If we have cakes or biscuits I make them. 90% of our meals are home cooked . . .

1. Sharon says:

They’re pointless aren’t they!? Fresh imposters!

That’s fabulous! Learning tofu and tempeh is awesome, and I did see you had custody of an ice-cream machine!

3. Hello lovely! Like Kathryn I make my own baked goodies and pesto. I also make coconut milk and cook legumes from scratch. I’ve started to make my own nut milks. Actually most things are home cooked. I can get good quality bread, so I buy that. I’m lucky my mum makes homemade pickles, Indian style.

Oh, and I abhor the supermarket. period. Fake bread, fake yoghurt. Cereals and muesli bars are as good as junk food. No, nutragrain doesn’t make iron men. Now I’m on a rant!

1. Sharon says:

You’re very lucky with your mum making those! And coconut and nut milk!? Wowza!!!

Yes, cereals… that has to be up there. I haven’t invested the time to make my own yet but I’ve been thinking about it.

4. Lucy says:

oh yes. part two of your question…

cakes/biscuits always should be homemade. you eat less that way because they become proper, occasional treats. bread i am working on. jam and marmalade/chutney-making is my current bug, and loving it.

1. Sharon says:

Chutney is the bestest thing evvvvvvveeeeerrrrr!

Jarring your own jams and marmalades and chutneys must be so thrilling because you’d get that sense of satisfaction whenever you look at them.

5. Sharon says:

My turn!

I’m not keen on the tortillas with numbers on them. The stupidmarket used to have a brand of corn tortillas that didn’t have anything artificial in them – then they brought out their private label one – and removed the good one from the shelves. Bastardos!

From scratch I do legumes, pesto and preserved lemons. Next on the cards, tortillas. Takes foreeeevvvvver to try new things…. but it gets done, eventually :)

1. Lucy says:

ooohhh…tortillas….nom.

6. Tammi says:

I’ve been avoiding the supermarkets in Oz for a couple of years now pretty successfully, and only rarely even need to go to the IGA, though I’m happy to for tp, etc. But basically I just hate anything there that is easy to make at home, which is a lot of things, and anything that is no longer recognisable as ‘food’. So I’m totally with Lucy & Kathryn on ready-popped corn & those herb-like tubes, but also pre-marinated meats, sliced cheese, or things like cream cheese with smoked salmon flavour (for crying out loud, add salmon!). Flavoured milks, or for that matter, fat-free dairy of any description, crap like those weird yoghurts that are some kind of lolly snack marketed at children (in fact, most flavoured yoghurt)… I think you get my drift. I want my food as whole and unprocessed as possible, and for as much of the profit as possible to go to producers.

1. Sharon says:

Yeah, those wierd-ass yoghurts! What’s with that?

7. Oh yes and like Lucy says, I also make jam and marmalade. But I do still buy marmite . . .

1. Sharon says:

You made me google “marmite recipe”…

1. I think you could make your own marmite if you made your own beer – it’s a by-product of beer making isn’t it? But that’s getting a little too obsessive / time consuming for me.

1. Sharon says:

Oh! Fancy that, didn’t get that far.

Got to a recipe by Nigella for Marmite spaghetti and got distracted.

But brewing beer is involved! Sounds like a fun experiment with a brewer mate.

(…I am obsessive…)

8. Ganga says:

I like to make as much as I can, given my time limitations. I like to make my own spice mixes, podis, dukkah, chutneys, jams, chilli paste. I rarely go to the supermarket, about once every 6 weeks. I make tomato paste and freeze it. Flatbreads, peanut butter, nut milks. I would love to live a life of no-work and be able to make cheeses too, altho I do make paneer on occasion. Pesto, hummus, babah ganoush. I would like to make my own tahini – must do that one day soon. I must admit to buying yoghurt – a beautiful one from my Indian shop. In a limited pot garden I grow some herbs – definitely enough for regular herb teas :)

1. Sharon says:

Oh yum! And peanut butter! Chilli paste – good idea! Oh I think you’re already making enough there – you can buy the yogurt and cheese :)

9. Grant says:

The worst I’ve seen is the blended avocado that’s wrapped in an avocado-shaped plastic container and then slapped with the label ‘fresh’, when the real thing is a step or two away. This is not pre-made guac or anything, just plain avo. There are so many things wrong with that I don’t know where to start. I used to think the ‘fresh’ herbs in a plastic tube were terrible, but when I saw that my jaw nearly broke the floor…

Ang (my partner) loves making sweets – biscuits, slices, muffins – much to my delight. We enjoy making pasta sauces and all the bits for mexican (salsa, guac etc.) – we really don’t dig the pre-packaged variants anymore…

1. Sharon says:

If I could give out a Pointless award…

10. Rolley says:

Almost anything can and should be home made if possible. Even for busy working people.. I have 3 kids, work full time, and still have enough time to make my own curry pastes, indian breads, pizza sauces and bases, pasta, custard, cakes and more..all from scratch.

Once you start doing it it becomes more natural not just in terms of flavour (which I argue is ‘way’ better) – it feels more wholesome and organic to make the food you eat and whats inside it. Those curry pastes off the shelve are sort of sickening after you’ve been making your own for some time… as is most of the other stuff.

Baking is a big one, shop bought cakes, scones, everything – they contain a massive amount of un-needed fake ingredients. Custard is one of the worst as well, the stuff on the shelves isn’t even yellow from egg yolk, no, that’s just fake colour – all you need is milk, sugar and eggs to make real fantastic tasting custard (oh, and some ‘real’ vanilla – yet another modern supermarket disgrace).

The list just goes on and on.. its a real shame people are too lazy to make stuff themselves these days… it really is.

1. Sharon says:

Hello Rolley!

I’ve been looking at the photos on your site, what the bees are cooking up is amazing!

Yes, food from scratch isn’t just better for you – but tastes better too. There is a strange plastic or chemical flavour with a lot of pre-made food. They’re sort of thinly-flavoured, despite adding the mystery ingredients and extra sugar, fat and salt.

Cooking something new from scratch can be overwhelming. But for sure, it’s worth it; as you go along, it does become effortless. From training-wheels-sticking-to-recipes to mastering the techniques and flavour combinations and free-styling!

And then you get to eat it!